20120730

The End... 27 days later...

Sitting on the sofa at home after a long day of being at home. There is clean laundry hanging, the suitcase is away, thai has been ordered for dinner And it's time to tell you all about the last few days.
My reason for not posting while I was still in England is some seriously patchy internet...
Thursday... It was so long ago!!! looking back at my photos, that was the day i did some more nerdy tripping around London. First up was 221b Baker St - the Sherlock Holmes Museum. From there Sarah and I went to Abbey Rd - to see the studio, and stand with the huge group of others trying not to hit by cars getting the iconic Beatles album cover shot. I got there is the end. After a long slow bus trip back into town I decided i'd head out to Notting Hill, for a couple of reasons. Portobello Road is in Bedknobs and Broomsticks, and of course, the blue door. back to the hostel for a nap, and then out to the Royal Albert Hall for a night at the proms. I saw the BBC National Orchestra of Wales performing some Elgar, Ravel and Debussy.  It was spectacular.
Friday involved packing... it was a bit sad to get everything back into my suitcase... I also headed in to the Tate Britain to see a photography exhibition that opened on friday called 'Another London' - photos taken by photographers who were either visiting or emigrating to England. it was really good. I spent a few hours wandering around the Tate, then caught a ferry along the thames and the tube back home. More chillaxing, and then off to Beanii's place to watch the opening ceremony! quiet night in, with risotto for dinner and opening ceremony on TV. wasn't how I had originally planned to see the opening, but it was a great night, great opening ceremony.
Saturday I had HOURS to kill before I had to leave for the airport. I hung out on the couch at the hostel watching the olympics for a while, then decided that I could probably get out to see the men's road cycling go past. hooray for free olympic events! when I got to fulham rd at South Kensington, I had just missed seeing the men ride out.. booo. after yet another seriously disappointing coffee (I can not tell you how many i threw out over the last month) I went wandering along the cycling track (which was closed all day, with very little crossings open for cars) to Hyde Park. not much was going on in the city, so I wandered back along the road to South Ken. by then it was lunch time, so I went into a pub on the track, grabbed some lunch and stayed there to watch the cycling on TV. a few hours (and three new pommy friends) later we made our way back out to the barrier to watch them cycle for home. I was just on the finish side of the 3km to go sign, so when they came past us they were flying! i got a couple of pics, but they are blurs of colour.
Finally it was time to head to the airport, where i managed to distract the women at the check in counter just long enough to get my 2kg over weight carry on through without any extra charges.
The interminable flight home, broken by a massage in Hong Kong (how much is 280 Hong Kong dollars?) and Wendy and Mum at the airport to meet me!!! straight home (via some decent coffee!) into a shower then back out to class - i'm a good little student!
Eventually all of my photos will be available online, but gimme a chance, there are tonnes of them!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment